Under the Public Service Pensions Act 2013 by sections 5 (1) and (2), the role of the Pension Board is to assist Hackney Council as Scheme Manager of the London Borough of Hackney Pension Fund to:
- secure compliance with the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) Regulations and any other legislation relating to the governance and administration of the Scheme, and any requirements imposed in relation to the LGPS by the Pensions Regulator
- ensure the effective and efficient governance and administration of the London Borough of Hackney Pension Fund.
The Pension Board provides oversight of these matters and, accordingly, is not a decision making body in relation to the management of the Pension Fund. The Pension Fund’s management powers and responsibilities are delegated by the Council to the Pension Committee and officers of the Council.
What does the Local Pension Board do?
- It plays a key advisory role in assisting the Hackney Pension Fund Committee in managing the Hackney Pension Fund
- It ensures that the Hackney Pension Fund Committee is compliant with LGPS and other relevant regulations
- It is made up of equal representation of scheme members and employers
- It has regular meetings (at least twice a year).
Members of the Hackney Pension Board (HPB) are:
Samantha Lloyd – scheme member representative (Chair of the Board)
Kay Brown – employer member representative
Vacant (as at September 2019) – employer member representative
Michael Hartney – scheme member representative